Friday, October 8, 2010

Saying Goodbye to Pawpaw....

It was a very tough week. Pawpaw Rowberry passed away on Sunday, October 3rd.  Dad knew it was getting bad and left Texas at 12am to make the drive home. Sad to say...he didn't make it in time. Pawpaw died peacefully at home with Pammy and Cindy by his side. Oddly enough...he died the morning of one of my races, just as Mawmaw had two years earlier.  It was a crazy feeling going to the race. I knew he wasn't doing well and I just had a fear that I would get a call just as I had before to tell me that he had passed. I didn't, but he was on my mind the whole run. It was a half-marathon, so it was tough and when it got hard I just thought...I'm going to run this whole thing and finish for Pawpaw. If I think this is hard, think of what he is going through. It got me though! But.....on our way from the finish to the car mom let me know he had passed away that morning at 6am. Crazy.
All in all it is a good thing. He is finally comfortable and with Mamaw, so we have to be happy for him. Cindy and the rest of the family did so much and worked so hard for him these last few months. I know it was hard on Dad, but he stayed strong as he always does. The mass was beautiful and the military honors they did after mass was awesome and so moving! I don't think there was one dry eye. The Marines presented Dad with the flag and the three rounds of bullets they shot off. It was one of the neatest things I've ever seen.
 Here is how I like to remember Pawpaw....what he lived for....Indy! This hat even went with him!

The Poem I wrote for Pawpaw that was read at mass by Sara:

Erwin Edward Rowberrry.

Husband, father, brother, grandfather, great-grandfather and friend.
All have come to celebrate your life,
although this is not the end.
Such a full life you had...
Veteran of war and then 6 mouths to feed
Laying tile was your work
with many jobs to lead.

Everyone knew if they wanted a nice tile job
Erv Rowberry was the one.
So many will be able to look at your work
for many more years to come.

Those who were close to you,
knew that racing was the love of your life.
But of course it was second to cory,
your fun and loving wife.

look at the family you created!
Aren't we a good looking bunch?
We aren't only good looking but we know how to party,
maybe a little too much?

We may drink, party all nite,.... and yes sometimes fight
but when it comes down to it...Rowberry's are Rowberry's
and we will always be very tight.

Indy 500 for over 60 years,
what a tradition you created!
That weekend on the rowberry calendar
will for ever be dated.

So many have great memories of those trips,
and so many stories are told.
Your racing legacy will live forever
and those tickets will never be sold.

Mawmaws been patiently waiting for you,
and now to heaven you have been sent.
You guys are probably listening to us now...
and having an argument!

Over what was just said, or who here is who,
and I'm sure this wasn't your first one!
But you'll be kissing and saying I love yous
when all is said and done!

We all will miss you being here with us,
but this day is bittersweet.
Because we know you are finally comfortable at home,
and someday again we will meet.

WE LOVE YOU!
10/7/10


 

No comments:

Post a Comment