Friday, June 24, 2011

Our Gimpy Little Lady...

You know how it is when your dog is limping, but you can't figure out what he did or whats hurting him? You ask him, but he doesn't talk to you, so you just guess....thats what it was like with Parker for the last week! Like the comparison? LOL! She talks her little head off, but everytime we would ask her if her foot hurt, she wouldn't say a thing!
It started with jumping on the trampoline at Mawmaw and Pawpaw's house, but Jason says she didn't fall or no one landed on her? He just called me that night and told me that she was limping. The next day we called the Dr. and the nurse told us to use ice and ibuprophen and call on monday if she was still limping. Have you ever tried to put ice on a 22 month old child?? Right! Plus, we couldn't even figure out if it was her foot, ankle, knee, or hip?? We thought it looked a little better on Monday, but Tuesday I noticed and so did my mom, so I called on Wed and they told us to come in to the pediatrician. I was thinking, "what the hell is he gonna do?" He's only gonna send me for an x-ray right? Wrong! He asked if she had had a cold recently or fever and then asked about a few bruises she had and if she bruises easily? I think she does, but really I think its only becuase she is so darn fair! So he sent us for a blood test STAT. STAT??? Why? I didn't ask many questions, but he said it would tell us if there were an infection in her body. What he was really trying to say is that he was testing her for Leukemia!!! Good Lord, I'm glad I didn't ask that day or I would have been a total wreck the whole day! By the way, have you ever heard of a baby not crying when they get their blood taken??? She screamed bloody murder when the doctor even looked at her, but when we got to the lab place and the guy tied a band around her arm and stuck a needle in her arm she only made a small peep! Jeez...I was almost crying just watching it. I cannot give blood what so ever and have an anxiety attack every time and she just sat there and watched! She's much stronger than I will ever be!
Well, thank goodness her test was normal and the dr. told me why he was testing her for cancer etc. I never thought a limp was a sign of that! I guess it was just that she wasn't showing signs of a break and wasn't complaining much about her foot or leg.
Long story short a few days later we were sent for x-rays and back to the pediatrician. The xrays were normal and we paid another $25 co-pay to walk into the dr. office and have him tell us that its probably just a sprain! There could be a chance its a tiny fracture that won't show on an x-ray, but we wouldn't want to cast her for no reason, it would just heal on its own.
So....poor little girl had to go through all that for a little of nothing that her parents were more concerned about than she was. But...I know I will always get every little thing checked out from now on because you never know the things it could be. Just the thought of my child having leukemia freaked me out and made me love her and appreicate her so much more!! I don't know how parents can go through something like that watching their child in pain and confused. Its got to be heartbreaking!
So all is well with our little lady for now! The limping is almost gone and she's a happy, healthy and crazy little girl! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment