Sunday, January 23, 2011

Good-bye Grandma Verna

Jason's Grandma passed away last Sunday. It seems that we've had quite a few funerals in the past year...I don't like that at all! The services for her were very nice, I'm sure she would be happy with it and Jason did a great job speaking at mass. Taylor was full of questions when we got the cemetery and she saw them place the casket where she would be buried. How do you explain all that to a child? Its hard for me to even think about and comprehend! It got me thinking more and more about being cremated??? I always thought that was just uncomprendable and cruel, but after Mawmaw and Pawpaw both were cremated and their remains are at their house where everyone talks to them it doesn't seem so bad anymore. I like the fact that you can spread the remains anywhere, that makes it a little special. Some of Pawpaw is going to Indy this year to be spread on the track and some of Mawmaw will be left in her garden. I think each of the kids are going to have a small urn of them mixed together and then the remaining will be buried at Jefferson Barracks. (This probably is the most appropriate thing to be talking about on my blog huh?? :) Well, life is short and if ever anything would happen then everyone will know my thoughts! I especially don't like the thought of someone (like my husband) having to decide where I would be buried?? With my family, with his, etc? Thats a tough decision, and then on top of that its so expensive! I can't believe the money spent on caskets that just go into the ground forever. Its all very strange to think about, but I did my best to explain to Taylor that after you die, you sleep in your casket in the ground forever.....sound okay? She seemed appalled! I really hate the thought of it too! Well anyway, I've learned a few things from the several funerals we've attended lately. 1. We are all getting older....I'm getting older, my parents are getting older, and I'm only left with one grandparent. Life is just way too short!!! I'm going to make the most of every opportunity, every holiday, every memory. 2. Anything can happen to anyone at any time! You can die tomorrow in an accident, be diagnosed with an incurable disease, or you can live to be 100...you just don't know. So, I've asked Jason to tell me how he would want things and I want to tell him what I would want if anything should happen to me (like you know....what outfit would you put me it and that important stuff...lol, kidding...a little). I also want to be sure my kids know how much I love them and that they have great memories with me. 3. Dying is part of life. Its not very easy to deal with, but we move on. I don't know how some people do it. There are some circumstances that I cannot imagine ever living through, but God has a plan so we must trust in it and continue on.
Wow....what deep thoughts huh?! Didn't really know I was going to go that far, but oh well I did!
Rest in peace Grandma Verna.

No comments:

Post a Comment